Thursday 16 May 2013

Mini-Reviews: The Spindlers by Lauren Oliver and My Unfair Godmother by Janette Rallison

Due to time constraints and piling up review copies, I thought I would post some reviews short.  Because these are the books, which already has many reviews for you to choose from in Goodreads and Amazon.

THE SPINDLERS


Series: (Standalone)
Author: Lauren Oliver
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release Date: October 2nd 2012
Source: Review copy from publisher
Genre: Fantasy, Middle Grade

One night when Liza went to bed, Patrick was her chubby, stubby, candy-grubbing and pancake-loving younger brother, who irritated and amused her both, and the next morning, when she woke up, he was not. In fact, he was quite, quite different.

When Liza's brother, Patrick, changes overnight, Liza knows exactly what has happened: The spindlers have gotten to him and stolen his soul.

She knows, too, that she is the only one who can save him.

To rescue Patrick, Liza must go Below, armed with little more than her wits and a broom. There, she uncovers a vast world populated with talking rats, music-loving moles, greedy troglods, and overexcitable nids . . . as well as terrible dangers. But she will face her greatest challenge at the spindlers' nests, where she encounters the evil queen and must pass a series of deadly tests--or else her soul, too, will remain Below forever.

From New York Times best-selling author Lauren Oliver comes a bewitching story about the reaches of loyalty, the meaning of love, and the enduring power of hope.

REVIEW

A nice fantasy world which reminded me of Alice's wonderland, although this is more like terror world.  I liked the second half of the novel much better than the first.

I read this long ago, but its like I have nothing to say about it.  I had this "its neither good nor bad" feel.  Don't get me wrong..I like Lauren Oliver's writing, but I am not able to enjoy this one well.  Maybe because its slow, maybe I didn't expect such a plot, maybe its the boring first half..  Well, whatever! 

A simple but a good children's story!  So, I recommend this for children..as for the adults, this would not be 'my' recommendation.  But I still know many who will..  So, give it a try and see for yourself! :)



MY UNFAIR GODMOTHER



Series: My Fair Godmother #2
Author: Janette Rallison
Publisher: Walker Books for Young Readers
Release Date: April 12th 2011
Source: Bought
Genre: Fairy tale retelling, Fantasy, Young-adult

Tansy Miller has always felt that her divorced father has never had enough time for her. But mistakenly getting caught on the wrong side of the law wasn't exactly how she wanted to get his attention. Enter Chrysanthemum "Chrissy" Everstar, Tansy's fairy in shining, er, high heels. Chrissy is only a fair godmother, of course, so Tansy's three wishes don't exactly go according to plan. And if bringing Robin Hood to the twenty-first century isn't bad enough for Tansy, being transported back to the Middle Ages to deal with Rumpelstiltskin certainly is. She'll need the help of her blended family, her wits, and especially the cute police chief's son to stop the gold-spinning story from spinning wildly out of control. Janette Rallison pulls out all the stops in this fresh, fun-filled follow-up to the popular My Fair Godmother.

REVIEW

As its predecessor, this novel is also fun, fairy-tale-ish and adorable.  People need these kind of books once in a while.  It makes reading more light and safe from emotions.

This novel is about Tansy whose life is about messed up in the fairy tales of Robinhood and Rumpelstiltskin.  As much as I liked this novel, I loved "My Fair Godmother" more!

Loved it and recommending both the books in the "My Fair Godmother" series!

So readers, have you read or heard about any of the above two books?  What do you think about them?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...