Wednesday 5 March 2014

Why should I NOT do discussion posts???

If you have been following book blogs for quite some time now, you would have noticed a wide shift in the nature of the posts.  There are more ramblings and discussion posts than reviews.  And I can understand the reason.  The audience likes this type of show and this stage is easier to put.

Discussion posts take your time, yes, but not so much as the reviews.  While reviewing by itself is time consuming, just imagine the time taken to read a 300 page book.  So, yes, I understand why people shift to discussion posts than reviews.

And there is another main reason.  Irrespective of the discussion topic, a good discussion is focused on major group of people who can relate to what you are talking about.  This is the place where reviews lose their luster.  Reviews are more like recommendations nowadays, especially when you review ARCs.

And if ask me personally, I would read more discussion posts than reviews.

So, why am I telling you all this?  Because for a very very long time, I have been wanting to start blogging discussion posts.  Then why didn't I start it?  Because there are many things that is holding me back.

1.  Fear


Credit: Falibo

I am an Indian.   I am not from English speaking community.  You will know how accents and dialects change from region to region.  While I am good with communicating in English with my people, facing the global audience with my dialect is something I am fearing about.  Do you not think that this will make a difference?

2.  Introvert



I am shy, but I have so much to say.  Every time I see some discussions, I feel like I should do a post about this too, because I have a lot to say about it.  But then again, I am afraid to share.  I am afraid of what my friends and family will think about if I tell something that they don't approve or understand.  This has been holding me for some time, but not anymore.

3.  Approval


Credit: Metro

As much as I love to think that this is my blog and I can write whatever I want, I still want the support of my audience.  But, I am not going to worry about this much, because that depends more on me.  My target audience may change, but that's a risk every blogger has to take, don't you think?

4.  Time



I am in a full time job.  You know what I am going to say next.  Yes, between my family and work, I have very little time to read and blog.  You can see the decreased frequency of my posts to confirm this.  But, I believe that if I love something, I can MAKE time for it.

That's it!  I have been blogging for more than two years now and I want to do something different, apart from reviews.  Do you think I can try doing discussion posts?   Or do you think I should just quit the thought and go on?  (Just the thought of the second question makes me sad. :-(  but please be honest.)  What should I do?  Suggestions please....


3 comments:

  1. I feel the same as you. I'm also not from the English speaking community (I'm Portuguese), I'm an introvert and of of the goals of my blog is to improve my english. So, I haven't tried discussion posts. I don't do book reviews either (because I really don't like writing reviews).

    So, I've decided to create a different book blog focusing on bookish stuff, featuring cool literary gifts, bookmarks, bookshelves, book deals and everything I think book lovers may find interesting.

    And, by the way, your English is great, so I think you could try discussion posts or you could try creating a new feature or a meme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosa, I just saw your blog..it's awesome. I like that LOTR ring that you posted. You thought something different with books. Great idea!

      And thanks for the vote of confidence! :)

      Delete
  2. It's your blog, do what YOU want. Yes, as bloggers we always run the risk of offending someone but that's the nature of the beast. If you have something to say then do so. It doesn't have to be weekly or made into some meme just do it whenever you feel you want to discuss something.

    Btw, your English is very good. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...