Saturday 28 January 2012

Review: New Girl

Original Title:  New Girl
Author:  Paige Harbison
Publisher: Harlequin
Expected Publication Date:  January 31st, 2012
Genre: Young-adult


Author Online: Website | Facebook | Twitter

*** Thanks to NetGalley and Harlequin Publishers for providing the ARC of this book. ***

Ever since I started reading Enid Blyton's children's books, I have always wanted to go to boarding school.  It felt like fun, to make new friends, live with them all year and learn something about the life's challenges.  One of the main leads in this book had such wish, when she was young and was obsessed over Harry Potter books.  But, when she got older, she forgot all about it..but, not her parents.  They had repeatedly applied for a famous, prestigious Manderly Academy for their daughter and now, they got the acceptance letter.

The 'New Girl', that's what she was always called in Manderly Academy, soon founds out that she was accepted because the girl named Becca is missing, probably dead, and she was 'replacement' for her.  All of the Academy's students adored Becca and when the new girl came, they started resenting her.  Becca also had a boyfriend, who now our 'New Girl' also likes.  But she was insulted and left alone at various places, for no mistake of hers.  Her roommate, Dana, previously the roommate and best friend of Becca, does everything in our powers to make the New Girl's life in Manderly, a hell.  Even in the most unlikely circumstances, she makes some good friends and tries to live her life.

Through the initial pages, I felt the book dragging and I thought it would be my first 2-star rating book this year.  But, I was surprised how soon the change happened.  When I was half-way through the book, I cannot put the book down.  The shift of chapters between Becca's life and the New Girl's life has worked perfect for me.  The girls are both new, but in different circumstances and make different decisions in their life.  Beautiful story-telling!

There were places, where teens were drinking and indulging in activities that the school disapproves, inside the school itself..and I mean it, like, always.  When I thought of Enid Blyton's schools and J.K. Rowling's Hogwarts, 'New Girl' is definitely not for kids/children.  A unique plot, but not for more conservative readers.  A great mystery!  Kept me wondering what happened to Becca and what will happen to our 'New Girl'!  Well, I think I make it perfectly clear, that the New Girl's name will not be revealed here..and so in the book, until you reach the final chapter.

Recommend the book for mature YA readers!


3 comments:

  1. thanks for the review...I am always looking for YA books for my kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry momto8, its not for kids. Ages 16+ will like it!

      Delete
  2. Great blog! I love to read I think it is so important! Thanks so much for stopping by to link up! Now following back! Come hop again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...